Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Think Small

I know, I know...you've always been taught in life to "think big!"  That's not the case here.  In fact, when I started this blog I was thinking small.  "Small Things," that is!

Several years ago I was feeling rather defeated when it came to keeping my home clean.  Hey, I was just trying to remember to breath with a new baby and four more small children clamoring at my feet for my attention!  But then a friend showed me Rachel Anne's blog, Home Sanctuary.  She helped me have an entire new outlook on being a homemaker. 

As an at home mom, I felt the pressure to always keep my home clean, have delicious meals on the table and make sure everyone was taken care of.  Do you detect a hint of perfectionism in there?  Well, I was setting myself up for failure. 

Rachel Anne made me realize that building sanctuary in my home is not about everything being perfect.  It's not about a spotless kitchen, or gourmet food.  It's the Small Things that make sanctuary happen.  With her help, I've learned that Sanctuary is a three-legged stool, made up of Peace, Order, and Beauty.  It takes all of those things together to make my home a safe haven for my family and all who enter here. So after reading a few of her posts, I joined the Company Girls and dug in!

I've learned a lot as I've followed along with the small things since that first day.  I've made friendships and won prizes and cheered on other Company Girls.  I made it through some really tough times and blogged about some exciting victories.   With a little effort and a LOT of prayer, I've come a long way on my journey to sanctuary.

But my journey is far from over.

Now I'm in a new season in my life.  All of my kids are in school (grades K-6), and I've gone back to work part time.  My schedule looks way different here at home, but I'm still striving towards sanctuary.  Every day I remind myself to just breathe.  It's the theme over at Home Sanctuary for 2013.  Take it one small thing at a time.

Rachel Anne extended the invitation so wonderfully that I'm going to now pass that invitation on to you.
I'm inviting you to find that part of yourself that longs to come home to a place that is uniquely "you" and comforts your soul as soon as you walk in the door. I'm inviting you to give up the silly notion of "perfection" and embrace the deep truth that "Home is Sanctuary," no matter how big or small, fancy or plain. It is the place where you create history, find your faith, accept each other's flaws, and give one another strength. It is where you'll find beauty and grace in everyday dishes, tossed backpacks and mismatched socks. It IS there....even if you don't see it right now. I'll show you.
 
 So think small in 2013!  Come join the Company Girls and simply Breathe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home Sanctuary is where it all started for me too! Love it!!

Rachel Anne said...

Thank you for this...You are so very special! Here's to a great year.