Saturday, January 19, 2013

SSMT Verse 2

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." -Galatians 5:1

This is the verse I am working on for the next two weeks.  Here's what it speaks to my heart:

1. It was for freedom that Christ set us free - well, duh.  In Galatians 2:21 Paul says "I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing."  It is by grace we are saved, through faith in Christ. (Eph.2:8)  If we could have been saved and reconciled to God through the Law, then He wouldn't have sent His son to die on the cross for our sins.

2. Keep standing firm - you know how sometimes you feel so confident and then all of a sudden you feel as if you slipped on a banana peel?  Maybe it's just me.  In order to keep standing firm, I have to constantly be in the Word, praying, and spending time with God.  I also have to surround myself with other people that can encourage me in my walk with Him.  It's when I start to believe that I am strong enough on my own that I slip and fall. Which brings me to #3...

3. Do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery - Paul is not talking about slavery in a literal sense here under another person.  He's talking about being subject to the law, rather than relying on grace and righteousness in Christ.  I am a rules girl.  I always have been.  So give me a list and I'll follow it.  It's both a blessing and a curse in my life.  I want a magic recipe for a perfect life.  The problem is, there is no perfect life.  There is only grace and forgiveness.  I can't expect to be the perfect wife, mother, and homemaker just by following a set of rules and guidelines.  For me, that would be what Paul is referring to as a "yoke of slavery."

Christ said "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

The yoke of Christ in exchange for the yoke of slavery.  That sounds pretty good to me.  I no longer have to rely on my own strength, but I can rest in the freedom that Christ has given me.

So that's what God has been speaking to my heart through His Word this week.  How is He speaking to you?  I'd love to hear from you!

Blessings,
Melissa 



1 comment:

beckyjomama said...

You're a Company Girl AND a Siesta?! I think I love you already!

Thank you so much for your sweet encouraging comment on my housekeeping woes!!! I have a hard time with two of my own and two extra through the week ... FIVE?! You are my hero!

Have a great day and thank you again!
Becky Jo