We've hit a bit of a rough patch with rules, discipline, and obedience around here lately. With five kids, we try to be very clear about what we expect, and as consistent as possible with consequences when there are infractions. Lately though, limits have been tested, and buttons have been pushed. What seemed to be working before is now broken. You know that verse "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him?" (James 1:5) Well, that's me. I've been asking God to give us the wisdom that we need to make the right parenting choices.
If ever you're having a hard time as a parent, you should head straight to the book of James. Talk about encouraging, and at the same time, very humbling. I've been reading it, re-reading it, and now I plan to memorize one particular verse that I landed on today about wisdom. (Siesta Scripture Memory Verse 21)
"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." -James 3:17
I am a person that naturally loves lists. So when a verse in the bible has a list in it, I sit up and take notes. In this verse, the list is instructing about what wisdom from heaven looks like. Let's take another look.
Wisdom from above is:
first pure
then peaceable
gentle
reasonable
full of mercy and good fruits
unwavering
without hypocrisy
Anyone else have some difficulties with that list? Reasonable, unwavering, and without hypocrisy are probably my top three that I struggle with. Hmm...I can't pray for wisdom without expecting opportunities to practice the things on this list. The good news is that I don't have to develop these character traits on my own. God is helping me to become more like His Son every day. He has given me His Holy Spirit as my helper, His word to instruct me, and prayer as a means of communication with Him.
Yes, I have all the tools I need to be a Godly parent. And the good news is, you do too!
"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work." -2 Cor. 9:8
Seeking to Know Him More,
~Melissa
2 comments:
great post Melissa! I think I will be reading James in the morning : )
thanks!! i know i'm going to need this sooner or later! =p
Post a Comment