Ok. So it's not Tuesday. But sometimes a girl just has to stop and give thanks. Otherwise, the events of a very trying week could consume her thoughts with negativity. Why allow that when there are so many positive, good things to dwell on?
1. Little man is feeling much better and so am I. We spent lots of time cuddling this week. Not that I would ever ask for one of my kids to be sick, but it really does bring out the "nurturer" in me. Even when I'm not feeling well myself.
2. Fall has finally decided to show itself. Last year I didn't get to savor my favorite season because it seems like we went from Summer to Winter overnight. I really do love the many colors of the leaves and the warm days and crisp nights. Not to mention the tastes of Fall like apple cider, and pumpkin spice muffins and lattes!
3. Although I am definitely not a morning person, I really have enjoyed watching the sun rise over the beautiful hills that surround us here. We have a big picture window in our dining space that nicely frames them. This morning was a particularly glorious sun rise with oranges and pinks and purples reflecting off of a few scattered fluffy clouds. If only I could paint! I would capture the image forever on canvas.
4. I've had some great dinner conversation with my kids this week at the dinner table. I know that the days will quickly come when there will be kids missing from the dinner table due to activities and sports. I want to cherish the moments that we spend together eating dinner as a family. My favorite night was when we went around the table and showed our appreciation for each kid by highlighting something special about them and then giving them a round of applause.
5. We finally got half of our firewood delivered yesterday. My garage is filled with the fresh scent of Oak. I'm so thankful that we have two fireplaces to help heat this big home this winter. When it does get cold here it gets really cold. If I remember correctly from the last time we lived here, it can even get to sub zero temps. That's without a wind chill factor. I will say that I'm glad that those days the sun is usually shining bright. It may not warm us, but I can face the cold days a lot better when the sun is shining.
6. Here's a sad one from last weekend, but it's worthy of sharing. I went to my dear friend's dad's funeral last weekend. She was my babysitter growing up so I knew her dad pretty well. I was so thankful that my husband watched the kids for me for the weekend so I could go and support her.
7. While I was driving across the state to get there I had a lot of good worship and prayer time with God. I really enjoyed the uninterrupted time (6 1/2 hours one way) in the car. It felt like catching up with an old friend.
8. The funeral was in my home town so I got to stay at my mom's house. While I was there I visited with my Grandma, who lives just down the hill. I loved waking up in the morning to hug my mom and have a cup of coffee with her. My sister joined us on Saturday and she and I went to see a movie together Saturday night. That's something we haven't done in years! It was wonderful to visit with my family, even though it was only for a couple of days.
9. While I was away, my neighbor had her baby! I am waiting to go take a peek because I know how difficult the first week home can be. I will eventually put together a meal for them and a basket of goodies for their other two children, but for now, they have family taking good care of them. I am so thankful that God put us next door to them. We've already become good friends.
10. We're going to try out our Pastor Friend's church again this weekend. We've checked out a few other churches in the area and none have really been for us. LIFE Church is very lively and they are seeing lots of people come to Jesus every week. They have a really good kids' program and great worship. I love to listen to the Pastor preach because he has a lot of passion for God's Word and how it applies to our lives today. I hope that we can finally get plugged into a church that is right for our family.
Well, that's 10! I sure do have a lot to be thankful about! It's like I always tell my kids: When you're having a bad day (week), just be thankful! Find something positive to think about and that will make it easier to walk through any trial that comes your way.
To quote the wise prophetess of the book of Judges, Deborah, during a difficult time of her life, "March on, my soul, be strong!" (Judges 5:21b)
Have a great weekend all!
~Melissa

3 comments:
Our leaves are turning, but the temps have been either above or below average, or average, but with lots of rain. It does feel as if we were cheated out of the best of autumn.
Wonderful that you may have found a church - community is good, and it's a blessing that it "fits" the whole family.
Stopped in to 'Hi!' by way of Company Girls. What a wonderful reminder to 'encourage ourselves' in the Lord. You have a great weekend as well.
1. Glad to hear. Something is definitely making its way around again.
2. I'm hoping Fall will come soon over here. Supposed to be a "hot" weekend.
3. Love sunrises!! Glad you have a nice view.
4. I know exactly what you mean. I love our family dinner time.
5. I wish we had a fireplace! I would probably be too lazy to actually do anything with it though. I think my friend's house has one of those gas ones that you can turn on with a switch, but just not the same...
6. Sorry to hear that.
7. Awesome!
8. Love my time with my mommy too.
9. A good neighbor is hard to find. Glad you found one. And congrats to them on the new baby!
10. Hope you can find one for your family soon.
So much to be thankful for! I feel bad when I complain about something, because really, we are just so blessed.
Have a wonderful weekend, Melissa.
Post a Comment