The three boxes of peaches we bought on Tuesday were ripe enough a day early on Thursday to peel and can. Luckily, my MIL was willing to change her plans and come over to take care of things! We used the small kitchen in the basement to work. I'm told that it's the perfect "canning kitchen."
Originally my Sister in Law had planned to come out and can applesauce with us, but she was unable to make it. That left us with 4, 40lb boxes of apples to make into applesauce! We gave one to a friend of mine and set to work on the rest yesterday, bright and early. My MIL arrived at 8:00am, ready with the supplies needed. We set up the kitchen and recruited everyone to help. The kids removed stickers from the apples while my MIL and I sliced them for boiling.
Once we got the first pot boiled, my MIL taught me how to use the "Victoria." It was a very impressive machine! You put the boiled apples in the funnel, core, seeds, peels and all. The sauce comes out one end, while the waste comes out another. We took turns cranking the handle...even RL and JS gave it a try! It was definitely a family event. :)
After we had enough applesauce, we poured it into jars and began the processing. I would have to say, one of my favorite parts of the day was celebrating when we would here the "popping" noise of a jar sealing. It was a very fun filled day and I am so thankful that my MIL is willing to come over and take the time to teach me the art of canning. It is a very useful skill to have, and very cost effective.
Cost of peaches including fruit and supplies: Just under $1.50/jar. In my local grocery store right now, a jar of Dole Sliced Peaches goes for $3.59!
Cost of applesauce per jar including fruit and supplies: $0.58! Yes, that's 58 cents per jar! I don't know what applesauce is going for in the store right now, but it's not that! It would have been even less, but we left some apples for slicing and dehydrating as snacks this week. :)
Now that I have all these wonderful jars of pickles, peaches, and applesauce, I needed a pantry space to store them. I decided to make over a room at the bottom of my stairs that already has built in shelves. It originally had paint in it, but it serves much better as a pantry! Now, I have the perfect pantry filled with lots of love! :)
| Before |
| After |
| The Other Side of After |
1 comment:
You are on a roll! If some natural disaster occurs, I'm heading your way. I bet the kids had a ton of fun too!
Post a Comment