Friday, May 20, 2011

Company Girl Coffee - Trials and Crowns

I have a weapon, and I'm not afraid to use it!  It seems like lately more and more I am quoting scripture when I feel tired, discouraged, or overwhelmed.  I am not a Bible scholar, and I do not claim to understand everything I read in the Word of God.  What I do know, is that His Word is strong and His promises are true.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 says "For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

I am on memory verse 10 for this year.  With each verse that I hide away in my heart I feel stronger, and better equipped for when I really need it.  Every one of them has been accompanied by a life lesson, to help me grow in my walk with Him.  I struggled to memorize my last verse, rehearsing it again and again.   Just when I was about to give up, He revealed the significance of the chosen verse in my life.  Because of His generosity, I am changed.

This verse is a long one, but when I heard it from a speaker, I knew I had to memorize it.

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him."  -James 1:12 

If you are experiencing trials of any kind right now, take heart!   The greek word for persevere here is hypomeno, which translates "to remain, abide, not recede or flee:  to preserve- under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ."  (Strongs translation) Do you love Him?  Then "hold fast" to your faith when under trial.  In the end, you will receive the promised crown of life.

Seeking to know Him more,
~Melissa

Link up for more coffee with the Company Girls!

2 comments:

secondofwett said...

Don't you just love that word 'abide'...it has such a peaceful feel to it...I congratulate you in memorizing...I keep telling myself 'one of these days'....hopefully that bday will come soon!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what your weapon of choice was. =p That's a good one. Thanks for your inspiring thoughts.