Tuesday, March 1, 2011

SSMT Verse 5 - Strength and Peace

March is here. As short as February actually is in days, it seemed long to me. Spring seems so far away in February. But March, now there's a month with hope of Spring! Yes, there is still snow outside. In fact, it's snowing as I type this. But I still hold out hope that the weather will begin to change and the ground begin to thaw.

But that's enough about the weather! On to my new memory verse for SSMT. I was really encouraged by Beth Moore's post this morning. I almost chose one of the verses she shared. It's so simple, yet so powerful. "March on, my soul; be strong!" (Judges 5:21b) That's definitely one that will stick with me and I will use it whenever I feel discouraged.

In Psalm 42:5 the Psalmist also speaks to his soul. "Why, my soul, are you so downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God." I've often quoted that psalm to myself in difficult times, but that's not my memory verse either.

The verse I chose this time around addresses two things that I need today, and every day. Strength, and Peace. And where do these two things come from? The answer is in Psalm 29:11, my new memory verse.

"The LORD gives strength to His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace."

Interesting, the heading in my Bible says "The Voice of the LORD in the Storm." Reminds me of another passage in Scripture. You might be familiar with it.

Jesus had just fed the 5000, and He sent the disciples ahead of Him on the boat, while He dismissed the crowd. They were a good distance from the shore and there was a pretty strong wind blowing that night. We'll pick up the story from there in Matthew 14:25-32

Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw Him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage, it is I. Don't be afraid."

"Lord, if it is You," Peter replied, "tell me to come to You on the water."

"Come," He said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him. "You of little faith," He said, "why did you doubt?"

And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. (NASB)

Just like that. The wind died down.

Notice it didn't die down before Peter stepped out onto the water. Peter just listened to the voice of Jesus when He said "Come." I can't say I blame him for getting scared once he stepped out. He must have thought something like "Whoa boy, what have I gotten myself into here?"

I have to admit, I've stepped into a few situations where I've felt the Lord leading me at first, but then, in the middle of it all, gotten that sinking feeling. You know, where you think you're in WAY over your head?

That's when we need to take a cue from Peter and call out to the One who commands the storm. The winds will die down, but until they do, take His hand. Listen to the voice of the Lord in the storm, and remember:

"The LORD gives strength to His people; The LORD will bless His people with peace."

May you feel His strength and peace today whatever you're going though!

~Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your verse. I love it. Something that I needed to hear right now.

We had some sunny and super chilly days and it just started raining again about a half hour ago...and for the next few days. I am super bummed because it is so hard to take kids out and E has some allergy thing going on. Counting down to sunshine!

Hope everything is going well over there, and that everyone is on the road to recovery. For some reason this winter has just been brutal for a lot of people, even those who rarely get sick.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

This verse came in so timely. Thanks for sharing. Btw, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a thoughtful comment.