Good morning! I'm getting a bit of a late start this morning, but it's for a good reason. This morning I went to my kids' Awards Assembly at their school. I've known for a little while now that my 3rd grade son was going to get a Character Counts Award for Responsibility. It was all I could do to keep it a secret. He was so surprised when his name was called. I am so proud of him for showing responsibility both in school, and here at home.It was a pleasant surprise to me when they reached the 4th grade names and they called out RL's name to come forward and receive the award also. As she walked by, she looked at me with a big grin on her face. I'm so glad I could be there for both of them. The award is such a great way to boost their confidence.
Responsibility. It's a big word, isn't it? I've tried to teach my children what the word means. Today two of them were honored for it, but every day I watch for opportunities to praise my children when I catch them acting responsibly. Things like doing their chores without being asked, being prepared for school on time, completing their homework without being nagged, or picking up their toys when they are done playing.
Yes, I'd like to think that I'm raising responsible children. So today, I'm very proud to see their hard work recognized in front of all their peers. In the end though, what matters most is that they continue to behave responsibly, even when no one is watching. For one day, we will all be held responsible for our own actions.
"But each one must examine his own work, and then he will have reason for boasting in regard to himself alone, and not in regard to another." -Galatians 6:4 (NASB)
Have a great weekend all!
~Melissa
4 comments:
Congrats to your children and to you for having the values you try to instill in your children affirmed. You all are making progress. So thankful for encouragement along the way.
Have a great weekend.
Yay! What a wonderful moment for you to be there to see them get the awards. You should be a proud mama. Now if they give that award more often at workplace, you think that would lessen slacking from workers? It bugs when I see people not doing their work and then later complaining that they have too much work. Anyhow, congrats to both kiddos, and have a wonderful weekend.
Congrats to both of your kids! How wonderful you got to share it with them.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Congratulations, it is something that a lot of grown ups need to learn responsibilityar
Post a Comment