Good afternoon! I have been a busy mom lately, but I thought I'd take a minute and chime in for some Company Girl Coffee.The other day when Rachel Anne posted "Grab Bag" as the Small Thing of the day, it reminded me that I never gave a final update on my 28 bags in 28 days. We finished well over 28 bags. It was a mixture of clothing and toys to donate, and lots and lots of trash. It's amazing what you collect when you live in a home for 6 + years!
I learned I big lesson about myself last month. I tend to hang on to things because I think I need them to hold on to the memories. It's as if I think the stuff I own makes up who I am. As I was sorting I really had to ask myself why I wanted to keep certain items. It was very good. Not only was I cleaning up the clutter in my home, but also getting rid of a little "heart clutter." God really helped me work through some tough things that I didn't even know were there.
I still have plenty of time to work on de-cluttering and packing. And God still has plenty of time to work on me. I love the way Natalie Grant puts it in her book The Real Me. "I am not the woman I was five years ago, and hopefully I am not the woman I will be five years from now. I am evolving, changing, becoming. It's not so much who I am but that I am a work in progress, striving to become more like the one who made me."
Have a great weekend everyone! This post is linked up for Company Girl Coffee!
~Melissa
6 comments:
Great job on your 28 days challenge! I am getting rid of a bunch of stuff...thinking I will one day have a garage sale or something, and instead donating to someone else who is having a garage sale to donate money for children in need.
I was at Dollar Tree yesterday and thought of you. =p
I'm glad your doing well, Melissa. I haven't heard from you in a while. I've already done my decluttering and planning on having a huge garage sale this summer.
Great site. I love the graphics and embellishments.
Moving is the best time to de-clutter and get rid of the excess. Two years ago, when my husband and i moved from our 1000 sq.ft. home of seven years to our now 3000 sq ft home we probably could have been on the show Hoarders (we just kept it all hidden in the basement, garage and spare bedroom). As we packed up to stage and sell our place we got rid of SO much.
Upon moving into the new house we started with everything in the garage and agreed to move in ONLY what we needed.
Now we have easily just 1/3 of what we used to, and we have come into so much freedom living a minimalist life style. A lot easier to keep clean too! :)
I don't know why I shared all that with you. Just reminiscing on our last move as you pack up and purge out. :) Good for you.
Enjoy!
Many blessings on your journey.
I like the quote from the book. That kind of thinking sure frees us up to welcome changes in our lives.
Good work on the 28 days project! I just read a blog about doing something similar for the 40 days of Lent. I really like that idea and am thinking I will need to get my kids involved!
Well, we've lived in our house for 31 years. We need to move badly. I am not one to keep stuff but my husband is, he might need it one day. :o) I try to stay on top of our stuff because it gets out of hand so easily. Good for you and your 28 day challenge.
Thanks for stopping by and be sure and stop by on Monday and hear about my giveaway. Blessings to you!
It is good to declutter all aspects of our lifes it makes us realise just how much we have. Great post
Post a Comment