Confession #1: I let my kids watch cartoons in the morning. Yes, I admit it. As long as I approve of the show, they are allowed to watch it. I still believe in putting a limit on screen time, but I don't think it hurts any to let them watch their favorites. This morning's choice isn't even a cartoon. It's a show called "Hi Five", with songs and skits and puppets and they LOVE it! :) Truthfully, I love it too. I love the sound of the laughter it produces from my children.Confession #2: Some mornings I use cheater breakfasts like toaster waffles. I try to pick the ones that have more fiber and less sugar, of coarse. Add some fruit and you have an instant kid pleaser. Once in a while I just have a morning when I need an easy "fix it yourself" breakfast.
Confession #3: I often sneak in a little devotion time while the kids are getting ready for school, or wherever we may be going that day. They are all old enough to get dressed by themselves now, so while I send them off to their rooms to get ready, I take a few quiet moments to myself. Sometimes it might be all I can get until they go to bed...especially during the summer.
Confession #4: When we have plans to go somewhere, I usually don't get ready until AFTER all my kids are ready. I know this is probably backwards, but I like the feeling of knowing everyone is good to go, so I can take whatever time that's left to tend to my own needs. This is especially helpful to me on Sundays so I know that when I'm ready all I have to do is announce that it's time to go out the door and everyone is dressed to shoes with no last minute surprises.
Now that you know a few of my coping methods to make it through my mornings, I'd love to hear some of yours. Do you have a morning routine? Anyone out there get up at the crack of dawn? (Gasp!) How do you start your day successfully?
Have a great weekend all!
~Melissa~
4 comments:
Well, I think those are wonderful suggestions and it's always been my motto that whatever works then go with it! I will admit that on the days that hubby is teaching and doesn't come home for supper, I just tell my teens to get their own supper...after 37 years of cooking I'm afraid I don't have much ambition for it! I do cook when hubby is coming home though!
That's funny that you posted this today because I have been so tired trying to figure all this stuff out for my sister's pre-wedding parties and wedding, I'm spent. Melody woke up before me this morning. I knocked on the wall of our front room to let her know Emily and I were awake when I did wake up. I heard the light switch click and then the door shut. I didn't think about it until later, but she went online to play her phonics games, and was trying not to let me know. She doesn't know how to shut down yet, so it was just on sleep. haha
I used to be a morning person, but no longer. I love the ideas from Kat over at Inspired to Action, but need to actually get on that "action" part of it. http://inspiredtoaction.com/
For some reason, I also get the kids ready first before I do. No idea why...
Hope you get to "sleep in" some more this weekend.
It is nice to know I'm not the only mom who stays in bed till the last possible minute, and now that school is out my kids are watching TV in the morning. (and my daughter loves watching Hi-5)
Thanks for the mommy confessions, it's nice to know we are not alone.
Like you, I usually wait until the kids are ready to get ready myself. I have all these "put together" friends who don't wake their kids up until they are showered, dressed, and ready for their day. Ugh. Most times my kids ARE my alarm clock. I find setting a timer helps. I keep an eye on it (whether I set it for 40 minutes or 4) and helps me and the kids stay on task. When it rings, they need to get their shoes on and in the car. If it rings five times (rings every minute until you turn it off), they have an early bedtime that night b/c they weren't ready on time. I build in time for this. Sometimes, once they're in the car, I'll put on our latest book on tape and they will listen to it for 10 minutes while I throw my clothes on and brush my hair. . .it is great when they can do a lot of stuff for themselves. Obviously this didn't work when they were little. . .but I still used the timer! Time to bundle them up, time to MOVE -- ha!
Post a Comment