Other than that, we spend our Summers pretty laid back. I am going to have some fun and make a poster with my kids that has suggestions of things to do when you get bored. I got the idea from a friend of mine. "50 Things To Do This Summer." All written out with boxes next to each suggestion so they can check things off as they go. We'll also take pictures as we go so that we can make a scrapbook at the end of summer. (Which will go on our list!)
I made a decision that I'm not going to put off making memories with my kids out of fear that everything won't be perfect. Not too long ago I read Beth Moore's book "So Long Insecurity," and there was a chapter in it that was basically a prayer for healing. One part of the prayer still lingers with me every time I hesitate to do something new that stretches my creativity abilities.
"Forgive me for being such a perfectionist that I resist doing something good out of the fear that it won't be great..."
On that note, I'm off to take my kids to their last day of school. It's only a half day, so maybe if the weather turns nice, I'll prepare a picnic lunch. Otherwise, we just might have a picnic in the middle of our living room. :)
Have a great summer all! I'll be seeing you around.
~Melissa~
9 comments:
have fun with your summer travels and all the in-between little activities that make lasting memories!
What a wonderful choice to make - kids don't care about perfection, they care about the process of making memories, and so many of the best are made when things go terribly wrong! One of my fondest memories of my grandfather involves freshly painted white walls, a 'stuck' glass ketchup bottle, and fits of giggles with 'You bad man, Poppa David, you bad, bad man' interjected by my Nanny as the tears rolled down her face!'
I too long to be intentional about making good memories with our children - and particularly as my illness diminishes my strength - I want them to remember these days with joy - great joy! Because, after all God is still good in the midst of our storms!
Hooray for you to step out of the perfectionistic mindset! Your kids will surely appreciate it and what an awesome role model you are for them!
My kids LOVE "Carpet Picnics" all year round!
We spread out the rug in the living room (where food is normally banned!) and get out the plastic plates and napkins. Their favourite was the one we had in the dark with torches when the lights blew in the middle of a thunder storm!
Have fun. Our last day of school isn't until July 21st!
Ann-Marie
happy last day of school!! the kids will love whatever you all plan on doing this summer. enjoy the trips!
nope, kids don't care much for perfection. it's all about attitude. if you're heart is in the right place, they'll know and love you for it.
I hope and pray you have a great summer!
wasn't Beth's book just fabulous! so much stuff in there that i needed to read and let go of...
Yay for making memories! I love messy memories at my house! :) Enjoy your summer with all the kiddos at home.
My highschool kids have one week of school left but our elementary school kids always go til the end of June! It sounds like you have a lovely summer planned...the ocean will be so fabulous and I love the poster idea...I'm going to pass that on to my eldest daughter..she has 4 kids under the age of 9...I think she'll love that idea!
Happy summer! I hope all your travels are safe and full of great memories.
I really need to read that book. Your post is a bit convicting! It always seems for us there isn't enough $ or time or energy or whatever to go and do those things we want to. I can't even remember when it was we last went on vacation. SIGH
I'll look forward to hearing all about your adventures!
Have a great week!
LydiaCate
Post a Comment