Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Worship Experience

Thursday night was worship night at our church. I had a really hard time getting all the kids ready to go (because my husband is the Worship Pastor I was on my own) and I didn't have a very good attitude by the time we got to the church. But I just knew I needed to be there. In my heart of hearts, I knew God had something for me.

The first set was good. The songs were all ones that I love and the room had a good vibe going. Our Pastor came up and prayed, and took an offering. My DH took a few minutes to read a devotion and then we had two minutes of complete silence. During this time, we were supposed to listen to God. Not pray and ask Him for things or even spill out our hearts to Him, just simply listen. Tears began to roll down my cheeks as I felt the Holy Spirit minister to my heart. He simply said over and over "My daughter, I love you. I will not leave you. I want all of your heart."

The band started up again and by this time people were sitting or kneeling to pray all over the sanctuary. When they began to sing the song "You Won't Relent" I felt a stirring in my heart to stand up and stretch my hands out into the air and receive His love for me. I hesitated, because I didn't want to disturb those around me and become a distraction.

Don't we do that sometimes, not only when we are worshiping, but even just in our day to day walk with God? We have a hard time simply practicing a childlike faith because we don't want to be "noticed." We'd rather blend into the crowd. I tell you, this child of God is done blending into the crowd! I want to be noticed for Jesus!

Priscilla Shirer talks about a young lady in her book "He Speaks to Me" that did just that. She had a child like faith that stood out in the crowd. Her name is Ryan, and she is Autistic. Here's what Priscilla had to say about her:

"She hasn't learned that her style of worship should please and impress people. Her worship hasn't been tainted with religious pomp and circumstance. She doesn't pay attention to the people around her or worry about what they might think of her. Out of her childlike relationship with her Savior, Ryan just gives Him everything she has."

We could all stand to be a little more like Ryan.

I did end up standing up and giving Him everything I had in me. I sang loud and I raised my arms as high as I could get them. I sang "Come be the fire inside of me, come be the flame upon my heart. Come be the fire inside of me, until You and I are one." And I cried. And I cry still.

Come Lord, Come.

I'm so glad He doesn't relent. Aren't you?

5 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

Melissa, awesome. I've never heard the song but it is really powerful...I'm so glad you shared it on your blog. I'm with you! I want the fire to burn inside in a deeper way than ever before. I find myself floundering without Him, when there isn't that worship inside because of all the junk I let in instead.

I want to stand up and throw my arms open, just like you. Yes, I'm glad He doesn't relent!!

One More Equals Four said...

It is so hard to just "Be still and KNOW that He is God" sometimes. So glad you got the opportunity to do that and feel His presence so intimately!

I love that Bible Study by Priscilla Shirer. It has been one of the most touching I have ever done!

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you were talking about...going into worship with a not-so-great attitude. Since Norm is the interim music director, he always gets to church before we do, so I have to get the kids ready and out the door by myself. There's always one last diaper to change or spit-up to clean up right as we're heading out. It's not the best way to enter into His presence.

I will have to check out that Bible Study.

I'm glad that He spoke to you.

LydiaCate said...

It's so good to visit with you. Seems like forever since I've visited.
What a sweet and powerful time of worship! Thanks for sharing such and intimate time with us!
My desire this year is that my relationship with the Lord would move to a deeper level. I want Him to make me what He wants me to be. I think I've feared that in the past. What I've found though is my God is so gentle and loving and gracious. How foolish I've been to be afraid.
Only great things to come...
Thanks Melissa for your post.
Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.