Hello friends! By now you must have read Rachel Anne's funny story over at Home Sanctuary! I laughed out loud when I read it. It's ranks right up there with some of her funny donkey stories. If you haven't read any of those, I would encourage it!
Speaking of funny stories, I have one that's sure to give some of you a good chuckle. I promise there are no critters involved. You see, I have been deep cleaning my master bedroom this week. I know, it's a little late for Spring cleaning, but something got into me and motivated me to start some serious cleaning/decluttering around here!
We've lived here for five years now, and for five years I have been saying how much I dislike the peach curtains hanging in my bedroom. I will admit, they are great quality curtains. They are lined, so they keep the warmth in and the light out. Peach just isn't in my color pallet as on of my favorites. There has always been something more important on our list of "home improvement" so I've just put up with them over the years.
Well, in my major cleaning frenzy I decided to take them down and wash them. Whew! Were they dusty! I figured I'd be brave and wash them here at home to save some money. So I set my machine on "hand wash, cold". I only put in one set to test what would happen. You can probably guess what's coming next!
When the cycle was finished I pulled them out of the machine and held them up to take a look. UH OH!
I hung them up to dry, just in case it was only the way the moisture made them hang, but alas, they had definitely shrunk. This wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that only one side of them shrunk. The taffeta front side was now shorter than the lining.
I called my mom because I knew she would get a laugh out of it, and laugh she did. Through her laughter she joked "Come on now, you can't tell me that part of you wasn't hoping that would happen!" She's right. Part of me was probably wishing that those peach curtains would be ruined for good. (Sorry, for those of you who adore the color peach.) Now, if I were any good at sewing, or if I even owned a sewing machine, then I could probably fix the problem. Instead I think I'll just call it a day and chalk it up to lesson learned. For now, blinds will have to do.
Anyone want some slightly ruined but now very clean peach curtains????
I plan to continue with my deep cleaning in another room of the house next week. You never know what else I can find to ruin...um...I mean, clean!
Have a great weekend all! Thanks for dropping in for coffee!
~Melissa~
7 comments:
Oh my lands!!! I am no fan of peach. I do love peaches. I HAD to wear a peach dress with a peach flower in my hair at my brothers wedding and it is my least favorite color...I am not sorry for your washing fiasco:) I hope that you are able to get something you will enjoy looking at! Maybe my sis-in-law would like your curtains...
My funny story of the week is that I fell in the pool with my clothes on while trying to rescue my son. It wasn't a deep pool and he wasn't drowning, but he needed me. I got my shoes off but forgot to take my cell phone off. Thankfully it dried out. And we'd done our shopping before going to the pool.
Were there instructions on cleaning the curtains? I plan to clean ours...one day, but ours aren't peach so I like them just fine.
Shoot, now you have to replace those curtains!
I did that ones, but it was on one of my favorites skirts. It was dry clean only but I was probably being cheap. I threw it in on delicate and it came out with the liner two inches longer than the skirt--I am still mad at myself for that.
I am impressed with your deep cleaning. My house needs it desperately, okay, let's be honest, my house needs surface cleaning desperately...maybe one of these days!
Have a great weekend!
I've done similar things to clothes I really liked! At least you didn't like the curtains!:-)
Enjoyed your post. Have a great weekend!
Oh my...I have a bedroom that could do with some deep cleaning....you wouldn't happen to live nearby do you? hehe....anyways, I don't have a funny story but we have been cleaning out our basement in preparation for our old furnace being removed and a new one being installed next week.....20 yrs of junk...yuk!
Melissa, that is too funny!! Love the picture! Will you leave them up until you get something else? I think i would, just for the smile :)
If you loved the peach color, you could always hot glue or use fabric glue to glue a border on the bottom...but maybe this is just the excuse you need to find something you really like. Go for it, girl!
Thanks for the chuckle!!
Post a Comment