It's quiet here this morning. The kiddos are sleeping in. Before very long, Saturdays will be the only day that they can do that! I can't believe there are less than three weeks before school starts. We're headed out for vacation on Monday so what's left of summer will slip by quickly. Sadly, we have to leave their daddy behind because he doesn't have enough vacation stored up yet to go with us. We're going camping as a family Labor Day weekend though, so that will be fun.
I've been reading a book lately that I just can't seem to put down. It's called "Three Cups of Tea." I highly recommend it! My mom read it and then gave me a copy. Once I finally picked it up and started reading, I couldn't believe I waited that long.Here's a review from the web site:
In Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time , Greg Mortenson, and journalist David Oliver Relin, recount the journey that led Mortenson from a failed 1993 attempt to climb Pakistan’s K2, the world’s second highest mountain, to successfully establish schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan. By replacing guns with pencils, rhetoric with reading, Mortenson combines his unique background with his intimate knowledge of the third-world to promote peace with books, not bombs, and successfully bring education and hope to remote communities in central Asia. Three Cups of Tea is at once an unforgettable adventure and the inspiring true story of how one man really is changing the world—one school at a time.
If you go to the Three Cups of Tea Web site and purchase the book there, 7 percent of your purchase will go toward a girls' education scholarship fund in Pakistan and Afghanistan. If you haven't already read it, I would encourage you to check it out yourself!
Well, the kiddos are finally stirring so I better get some breakfast started. I'm glad I could share coffee with you. Thanks for stopping by!
5 comments:
Have a WONDERFUL time on Whidbey Island!! I was looking at their school districts to see if they have any openings...nope, not at this time!
I absolutely loved the book "Three Cups of Tea." Made me want to go right over there and teach at one of the schools. It was amazing how they got the materials over. In fact, I just read something pretty spectacular about that part of the book...wish I could remember where I read it. I'll have to think a bit.
Perhaps when you get back, we can sneak some time in together for coffee! Loved your verse choice this month. I need to post mine.
I have 5 under 8 - g, g, g, b, g.
Glad to have met you this week for coffee.
That's a great book. I read it last year and couldn't put it down either. It is amazing how one person can make such a huge difference to so many people.
I will look forward to reading your book suggestion! I feel like I was a summer long traveler without Les this round...and I am so thankful that is a rare occasion...but perhaps it is good in a happy marriage to have more reasons to appreciate each other when we are away!!
God continues to whisper and shape me in new ways I never imagined...I am blessed...if stubborn! :) hugs hugs hugs!
Sweetie
The book sounds great, I would love to read it and will look for it.
I remembered that I was leaving a comment last week about Isa. 51:1 when my internet shut down, and never did get back to re-do it! I love that verse, though not "pretty" it is a mind picture that I just can't shake. Yes, look to the Rock!
Hope you have a great week!!
Post a Comment