Thursday, August 28, 2008

Playroom Clean-Up

Yesterday I finally got fed up with the incredible mess that has been collecting in our play room/spare bedroom. There comes a time when you have to stop planning and talking about something and just DO IT! Just so that no one will think that I'm exaggerating over how bad it got, I have before and after photos. I'm embarrassed to admit that I let it get as bad as it did. I just felt overwhelmed and didn't know where to begin the organizing process.
BEFORE:

AFTER:










All excuses aside, I'm glad it's done. I have done a few extra things to try to keep it organized.

1. I moved the books out to a cozy little niche in our downstairs living room to make a "reading corner." That way, there is a separate place where the kids can go to grab a book and make themselves comfortable.

2. I got rid of my "misc. toys" drawer. As a girlfriend of mine pointed out, there is no reason why everything shouldn't be able to be separated into specific categories. If it's miscellaneous, does it really need to be kept around? This way there are specific "stations" that can be rotated during play time.

3. I will complete the process by labeling the different drawers and boxes of toys. I might even add a cute picture for my youngest children, who can't read yet.

4. (And this is the hard one) I will teach my kids the importance of putting things away as you go along. Before I allow them to take out something new, they are going to be required to put away what they are currently playing with. Perhaps I'll come back and touch on this one again at a later date, when I've had time to work on it!

Everyone has different ways of organizing. What works for me now will probably evolve into something different as my kids grow older. It's not really what system you use that matters, but that it works for you. For more ideas on playroom organization, check out organizing junkie's monthly roundup back in June. http://orgjunkie.com/2008/06/rounding-up-the-playroom.html There's also a great post on her site right now about organizing the entry way to prepare for school to start. But I'll tackle that one another day! : )

1 comment:

Andrea P. said...

I was very impressed!! I think the bare wall above everything might deserve that fish puzzle above it. Good work - you may just inspire me to clean-up some areas I've been avoiding, too. Like my linen closet!