Friday, February 18, 2011

Company Girl Coffee 2.18.11

This morning I opened my bible to the designated reading for today and this is what I found:

"I love You, O LORD, my strength." -Psalm 18:1

Have you ever felt so overwhelmed that you don't know what to do? David, the writer of this Psalm did many times, I'm sure. What was his answer in his distress? Praise the Lord.

It's been a tough week here. "I love You, O LORD, my strength."

Two kids have the flu, the rest of us are fighting colds. "I love You, O LORD, my strength."

It's my husband's last week on staff at the church we love so very much. "I love You, O LORD, my strength."

I'm overwhelmed with packing and trying to stay on top of everything else that needs to be done. "I love You O LORD, my strength."

David had the right idea. He goes on to say in this Psalm "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." (Psalm 18:2 - NASB)

Just reading those words I am encouraged. I begin to feel like I can take on whatever comes my way today. That's the great thing about storing up the Word in my heart. It's hard to harbor negative or discouraging thoughts when I'm meditating on, or even quoting out loud verses from God's Word.

Jesus quoted the Scripture when Satan tried to tempt him in the desert in Matthew 4:1-11:

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. And the tempter came and said to him "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread." But He answered and said "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.' " (4:1-4)

Ouch! Take that, devil! But it didn't end there. Watch what Jesus does when Satan tries to use scripture against Him:

Then the devil took Him into the holy city and had Him stand on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down; for it is written 'HE WILL COMMAND HIS ANGELS CONCERNING YOU'; and 'ON THEIR HANDS THEY WILL BEAR YOU UP, SO THAT YOU WILL NOT STRIKE YOUR FOOT AGAINST A STONE'" Jesus said to him, "On the other hand it is written 'YOU SHALL NOT PUT THE LORD YOUR GOD TO THE TEST.'" (4:5-7)

Whew! Good answer! Now check this out:

Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory; and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me." Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, "YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'" Then the devil left Him; and behold, angels came and began to minister to Him. (4:8-11)

Wow! Not once, or twice, but three times Jesus countered temptation with scripture. What an incredible example of how to fight off negative thoughts, temptations, weariness, and discouragement.

We all have our bad days. But the next time I'm tempted to give in to those overwhelming feelings of defeat, I will stop and think of Jesus. And you can bet that I will be quoting, out loud, the words of the Psalmist and King David:

"I love you, O LORD, my strength."

Have a wonderful weekend all. I'm linking up with Rachel Anne for Company Girl Coffee over at Home Sanctuary today!

~Melissa

9 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Melissa, What an awesome entry! Oh, I know all about leaving churches that you love. My Dad was a minister and it was always so hard to say good-bye. But, we always loved our new church, home and new friends.

Blessings to you as you minister to your family, take care of the sick and prepare to move. That is a boatload for sure. But, He is your strength and He will see you through. Hugs to you!

secondofwett said...

Melissa...I am amazed that you were able to focus and do such an encouraging post....He does draw us closer in midst of our despair doesn't he?....thinking of you and your family as you ready for the big changes happening...hope your little ones are better soon.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the verse. I needed that. And He is my strength. Have a wonderful weekend, and hope that the move will go as smoothly as it can. I am sure it is overwhelming esp with sick little ones. Take care of yourself too.

Aiming4Simple said...

Thanks for encouraging us to look to the Word. It is easy for me to feel overwhelmed, and we've got nowhere near the change in circumstances you are facing!

I find myself desperately seeking to hold onto the good moments instead of letting negative thoughts flood my mind. Your reminder that scripture is the best weapon against defeat is timely.

Karen Whittal said...

Nothing like the word to but us back on to the right path and give us strength.

Janet Benlien Reeves said...

This is so encouraging. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

This was SUCH an encouragement; now I'm off to arm myself with Scripture for whatever may come my way today. I know it's all in His control.
I hope you have a relaxing weekend with your beautiful family (between all the upheaval, that is!)

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this post! You are so right -- storing up the Truth in my heart and my head makes things so much more manageable! He is good!

Katharine said...

I am late visiting from Company girls, but I am also right on time! I needed to hear this today! Thank you so much, God is good!